Monday, December 9, 2013

Christmas Gifts for Mammi and Pappi



I love making things for gifts way more than I do trying to find the right thing to buy. My parents gave me the perfect outlet as they finished their property up North. As with many small back county roads, finding their specific property isn't as easy as it is downtown or in the suburbs. The property also had a nickname, and the idea was born to make a property name sign. 

We had some gorgeous cherry wood 2in thick slabs that would be perfect for an outdoor sturdy sign. 

The original plan was to cut through the board for letters, but the time involved vetoed that. 
So pre-cut wooden letters were purchased from the local craft store. I couldn't decide which size I liked better and to get all the letters I needed, I had to go to 2different stores. Having the 2 sizes worked out. The larger letters were decided for the main sign but extra stuff around the house and a full set of smaller letters lead to a 2nd idea. 


Next came the prep work. Using an enamel spray paint (awesome finish) the letters were coated. 

The main board was sanded smooth and lacquered. 
Such an awesome finish 

The smaller sign was also prepped with some sanding and stain. Some spare trim was cleaned up and some antique corner maple leaf molds were used. 

With the prep work done, assembly began. The smaller sign (which was a bonus project) took much longer. The thin base board used for weight to make hanging easier meant that we had to attach and secure everything from the back. With help from the hubby, and a few tries; it came out pretty amazing. 


The main sign allowed for simple drilling straight through and came together pretty quickly. 

I got a comment it was "too pretty" to hang outside. I just can't make things unless they are pretty. 
I think they look alright. 

No comments:

Post a Comment