Thursday, November 7, 2013

DC table

I fell in love with the lines of this little side table at our local sustainable home improvement store; Community Forklift. It needed some TLC but the amazing bones were there. 

It's size made it more useful than I'd thought and it spent a few months as the official "project work table". Throw a drop cloth over it and it was used for painting supplies and drying of other projects or was just the perfect height for a lap top in front of the TV. Despite its easy use and my husbands protests, I finally got to work on making it gorgeous again. It was sanded down to remove blemishes and rough spots in the peeling paint. Once smooth and back to clean wood, I applied a dark espresso stain. 


While the dark stain is one of my favorites, I knew it would make the table a bit bland. No fear, there was a plan all along! From antique books, I'd pulled a number of maps and drawings. The paper color was beautiful; years of fading into a gorgeous patina. I sorted through those I had pulled, to get all the DC area maps. Figuring out placement took some thought and decisions for what the final piece would look like. 

But once decided, the maps were secured, allowed to dry and a few coats of lacquer were added. The result was stunning, more elegant than I could have dreamed. 


I'm totally sad I don't have a place for it in my own house but can't wait for someone else to love it as much as we do. 

For sale now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment